Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Quitting Time

So I decided to stop reading and commenting at the Althouse blog today. I did this because the politics posts there have become indistinguishable from GOP talking points. When I started putting up comments I was under the impression that a variety of people read the points there. But I turned out to be wrong. There are a few thoughtful conservatives there, and once in a while a misguided person like me turns up, though most of the folks there are hard core GOP followers. But the main problem I have is with the owner, who prefers to be disingenuous than actually make a substantive point. What I mean by this is that there's never a direct engagement with an argument; instead, for example, there's a criticism of the form of criticism. Now, everyone in blogland is certainly entitled to say what they want. But that doesn't mean I have to play along with it. And after I saw the post yesterday about the NIE, I thought enough was enough. Why did that push me over the edge? Because it was a lift of a sentence that a fair reader would recognize as a selective mischaracterization, and used as the basis for a conclusion that was, literally, nonsense, in that it didn't follow. At some point, you realize that people are not interested in a good faith discussion, but only in playing games. To play Althouse games is to lose, since they are, almost without exception, rigged from the start, or simply distractions from the substantive issue at hand.

If, god forbid, someone actually reads this, I am not saying that the owner of that blog is actually a GOP shill. She may be, or not. Maybe she just wants blog traffic. I don't know. But I do know that there's a persistent pattern of playing games in a fashion that's very similar--though not identical--to the administration and the GOP, and that to go along with those games is, in a deep way, to falsify what little clear discourse is out there.

4 comments:

Brent said...

Coward

Anonymous said...

Hi Sparky:
It's about time. The mystery is why you posted at Althouse in the first place. I myself have been there a few times (just to see what the GOP is up to, you understand) but have never wasted the time or put in the effort to organize the kind of lucid argument those Yahoos would inevitably fail to understand or choose to willfully misinterpret. Which is not to say that I don't agree with Edmud Burke. All that is necessary for the triumph of evil IS that good men do nothing. And so I must applaud your efforts to engage in intelligent discourse, to bring logic and reason to bear on the important issues of our day. But your energy and gray matter would be better employed among the undecided, not among those who have thrown in their lot with the Bush propaganda machine. And besides, why woud you want to contribute to making Ms. (should that be Mrs.?) Second-Tier Law School Teacher's 15 minutes of fame turn into 20?

Anonymous said...

Althouse is a soon to be cat lady. She considers herself as a victim of almost everything. If you read her posts you will recognize how badly her life has gone:

a) she was 19 in 69 and she hates the sixties and hates hippies
b) she was an art student but failed at that and hates art schools
c) she entered law school but hates lawyers and left the law profession
d) she became a professor of law but hates academics
e) she hates reading about other cases that are in the news (that doesn't stop her from claiming she knows them authoritatively though)
f) she hates teaching law and has stated she would rather teach courses about culture but that the school will not let her
g) she hates teaching law and blogs to in her words (but paraphrased), become famous as a tv pundit (note the opeds and radio and tv appearances)
h) marriage: failed
i) lives: alone
j) lives in Madison and loves the architecture and environment but hates the people (note how often she posts images with derogatory commentary of Madison "head" shops)
k) considers herself a feminist, but hates feminists and feminism.

What does she do? Watches lots and lots and lots of reality TV.

What does she have: she has her fellow victim blog groupies and a $160,000 per year tenured position, her TV, and a fast car to remind her of her youth.

You can giver her a cat, but don't look to her for intellectual honesty. She's a self-made woman, and yet, a victim.

Anonymous said...

If you read her posts you will recognize how badly her life has gone:

That is intended to be how badly she feels internally that her life has gone.

She has done very well, but she doesn't really believe that and her self-loathing really does scream out of her blog loud and clear.