If we are really enmeshed in a "war on terror" that is so serious as to require abrogration of rights in this country, shouldn't we bring back the draft first?
I'm not an economist, but I would think so, but for a different reason. If we think of taxes as something we should all pay as the price of living here, and that increasing tax rates on higher income people are ok, then probably. It seems that skewed tax reduction has benefited the rentier class quite handsomely. Everyone else: not so much.
As to terror, I don't have a good sense for the proportion spent on that part of the budget with respect to the rest. So I don't know whether we've increased defense spending enough to require additional revenue. Interesting that we don't have any discussion about it, though.
2 comments:
And do away with the tax cuts?
I'm not an economist, but I would think so, but for a different reason. If we think of taxes as something we should all pay as the price of living here, and that increasing tax rates on higher income people are ok, then probably. It seems that skewed tax reduction has benefited the rentier class quite handsomely. Everyone else: not so much.
As to terror, I don't have a good sense for the proportion spent on that part of the budget with respect to the rest. So I don't know whether we've increased defense spending enough to require additional revenue. Interesting that we don't have any discussion about it, though.
Post a Comment